It’s Official: Ghana’s Emmanuel “Game Boy” Tagoe will face off against American Argenis Mendez on September 2, at Bukom Boxing Arena in Accra, Ghana.
Tagoe and his promoter, Baby Jet Promotions, announced the new fight date at a press conference on Friday. Their fighter’s minor IBO lightweight title will be on the line versus Mendez.
“People say it’s been long since I fought but that’s not a problem for me because like Mayweather, the longer I stay without a fight, the better performance,” Tagoe declared. “I’ve heard all that Mendez is saying, that he is coming here to stop me. Tell him that I’m ready and waiting.
“I’m proud to be the IBO champion but I realize most Ghanaians don’t recognize it so I will follow up to win the WBA world title, follow up to add the WBC and also go on to add the WBO title then everybody can see I’m the true champion,” he continued.
Indeed, not only Ghanaians, but most boxing fans all over the world do not recognize the IBO as a true world title. However, Tagoe will validate himself if he’s able to beat the Dominican-born, New York-based Mendez, the former IBF World super featherweight champion.
BoxingAfrica.com caught up with Mendez last week, where he’s heavy into training for Tagoe.
“Emmanuel Tagoe is a good fighter,” he said. “I’ve studied him and he has good skills and is confident. But listen, my team and I think he is suited to my style. I mean perfectly suited. We are going to look very good against him.”
Mendez says he has no concerns about fighting in his opponent’s backyard. We’ll soon see if Tagoe can make him think otherwise.