For those who have forgotten, Isaac Dogboe is still only 26.
That means more time to improve, more time to collect straps and more time to achieve his ultimate goal of becoming a multi-weight world champion.
Dogboe didn’t become the WBO world 122-pound champion by resting on his laurels. The man known as “Royal Storm” has weathered the dark days; he understands the process and has seen the highs and the lows after losing his belt in successive defeats to Emmanuel Navarrete.
“The ultimate goal is to be a two-time world champion and then we take it from there,” Dogboe told BoxingAfrica.com. “I’m not in a rush to prove a point and want to take it one day at a time.
“The last few years have been challenging but I am hopeful this year will be fruitful. I can’t wait to get going.”
Dogboe (21-2, 15 KOs) has been back in his native Ghana since December, hard at work in the gym. Last August, he was one of the first to return to the ring in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Fighting for the first time in 14 months—and since the Navarrete losses—he appeared as good as ever, stopping veteran Chris Avalos in eight one-sided rounds.
The bout represented his first under new trainers Barry Hunter and Patrice Harris. Dogboe had previously been trained by his father Paul, who guided his son from the moment he could make a fist to world title glory.
But following the Navarrete bouts, the senior Dogboe recognized the need for another voice in the corner. After a lengthy search, they settled on two of America’s finest coaches.
“I came back home for Christmas and I’ve had a great time with my family and loved ones. What is left now is to look forward to the year,” said Dogboe.
“I really enjoy working with my new trainers and I’m learning a lot of new things in the gym. Like I always say, this job is a learning process and I am enjoying it. I really want to work with them for long.”
The plan is to return to Florida ahead of his first fight in 2021. A March date has been bandied about but nothing has been finalized.
“Top Rank is yet to make an announcement on my first fight this year,” said Dogboe. “They are proposing a first show on February 16 or 20 so I have to wait and see what happens.”
Dogboe was originally slated to face the Michael Conlan on December 5. However, the undefeated Briton sustained an anterior talofibular ligament injury in his right foot which led to the bout’s cancellation.
Whether that fight will re-scheduled or not remains up in the air. Either way, Dogboe is not fixated on fighting Conlan but any of the top fighters at 122- or 126-pounds.
“I will have to check to know if I will still be fighting Conlan next but there are so many fighters in the division so we will have to wait and see,” said Dogboe.
“As it stands now, I don’t know which division I will be fighting next because I easily make both the super bantamweight and featherweight.”
No matter the opponent, Dogboe is determined to reach the pinnacle again.
“The main focus at the moment is to concentrate on boxing. I took that decision to stage a comeback and I believe that is the only way to achieve that.
“My aim is to become a two-time champion and I think chasing one endeavor at a time is the way forward.”