Mexican superstar Saul “Canelo” Alvarez appreciates the fact that his division rival, Gennadiy Golovkin, was ringside last Saturday night at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Golovkin watched Canelo win a twelve round decision over Daniel Jacobs to unify the WBC, WBA, IBF middleweight titles.
Canelo won a close twelve round majority decision over Golovkin in September 2018, at the same Las Vegas venue.
After the contest was over this weekend, Golovkin was highly critical of the bout.
He said “it was boring” and “lacked drama” and it was “nothing special” to him.
But Canelo said that he’s fond of Golovkin for being at the card.
“It ‘s good that he comes to see me, it’s good that he’s my fan. I’m grateful to have won, there’s more work to do and we’re going to get even stronger,” Canelo said.
Golovkin is back in the ring on June 8th, when he faces Steve Rolls at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
Golovkin recently signed a six fight, $100 million deal with streaming service DAZN.
And last year, Canelo signed an eleven fight, $365 million deal with the streaming app.
DAZN is very interested in seeing Canelo face Golovkin in a trilogy fight in the fall.
But Canelo and his handlers have other ideas. They prefer to face a world champion in September, with the WBO middleweight champ as their main target.
Demetrius Andrade is the current holder of the WBO world title, and next month he faces Maciej Sucleki in a voluntary defense.
If they are unable to secure a fight with the WBO champion, Canelo will potentially return to super middleweight for a fight with WBA champion Callum Smith.
Canelo said that he’s open to the idea of a trilogy fight with Golovkin, if the fans demand it, and feels confident in his ability to “beat him again.”