WBO Africa Heavyweight champion Richard Harrison Lartey of Ghana says he has lost confidence in Cabic Promotions following their failure to secure a British visa for his trainer.
Lartey was issued the British visa on Thursday, ahead of his fight against undefeated and highly-rated Brit Daniel Dubois Saturday night at Wembley Arena in London.
It’s a major step up in class for Lartey. Dubois is one of Britain’s most touted prospects and earned notoriety after supposedly dropping WBA/IBF/WBO world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua during a sparring session.
Nevertheless, Lartey will enter the biggest fight of his career without his trainer, coach Prince Owusu, who was denied a visa. Lartey himself did not receive his visa until Thursday, two days before the fight, giving him little time to acclimate to the London atmosphere.
In an interview with GNA Sport on Thursday, Lartey informed the news outlet that his Visa had been granted However, Coach Owusu’s was not because, according to the reasons told to Harrison by Cabic Promotions, the British High Commission believes Coach Owusu will not return to Ghana after the fight.
Lartey himself considered cancelling the bout, refusing to go without his coach.
“I can’t go without my coach,” he said. “I feel insecure. My management team didn’t treat me well and I don’t trust them anymore. Even though I have had my Visa approved, I’m not happy because of my coach.
“How do you expect me to perform? They have to postpone the fight for things to be done properly.
“I want to go with my coach. He is the one who has prepared me to this level ahead of this fight and you want me to go into this bout without him. My management should tell me I should go and fight without my coach.”
Ultimately, Lartey acquiesced. He will use another trainer for this fight, although he admits being uncomfortable with this and believes it may be a detriment. But he cannot turn down an opportunity of this magnitude.
Dubois (10-0, 9 KOs), of London, is a 21-year-old power puncher. He has gone the distance just once, a one-sided unanimous decision victory over veteran and former heavyweight title contender Kevin Johnson in October.
Lartey (14-1, 11 KOs) has won eight fights in a row since suffering the only loss of his career against Ergun Mersin in 2014, including TKO victories over countrymen Morris Okola and Boniface Kabore in 2018.