The CEO of Don’s Promotions, Michael Annan, says his charge, World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Africa middleweight champion Obodai Sai would defend his title in June at the University of Ghana, Legon Campus, in Accra.
Sai, 32, (35-3-0) fought and defeated South African France Ramabolu in December last year to claim the much elusive WBO Africa title at the Bukom Boxing Arena in Accra.
According to Mr Annan, Sai’s opponent for the June bout is yet to be finalised with the sanctioning the body, the WBO.
He revealed that the Bukom based fighter was scheduled for an International Intercontinental world title bout in May but that seemed to have fallen through as the WBO failed to respond to communiqués from his outfit.
“We were looking for an international world title fight for him. We still on it though we are yet to hear from the sanctioning body but it is likely he would fight in June”, he told this paper in an interview in Accra last Thursday.
He further disclosed that Don’s Promotion would switch camp to a more responsive World Boxing Association (WBA) in due course.
“We are ready to move to the WBA or any other sanctioning body who is ready to respond to our letters on time and provide us with the appropriate response”, he stated.
On why his outfit chose the Legon campus for its next bout, the CEO of accounting firm Object Consult noted that boxing must not be limited to Bukom or Greater Accra.
“Boxing is a huge business. It must not be limited to Bukom and Greater Accra alone. This limitations in Greater Accra has killed the sport in the Northern Central, Volta, Western and Ashanti regions,” he noted.
He called for concerted efforts to make the sport make an impact on the youth in the country.